Healthy dental habits begin in childhood, but regular dental cleanings are not just for kids. That’s why the American Dental Association recommends that patients visit the dentist regularly, typically twice a year, to have their teeth professionally and carefully cleaned.
Teeth cleanings play an important role in maintaining good oral hygiene because they give us insight into potential developing issues like cavities and gingivitis. When we catch these issues early, we are able to help treat them, which saves you from needing procedures much more complex than a cleaning.
Schedule your appointment with Studio City Orthodontist today. Call us at (818) 528-8908 for a free consultation. We offer service in English, Spanish, and Farsi.
Regular professional teeth cleanings provide many benefits for your health and smile. These include:
- Stain removal: Everyone loves a brighter, whiter smile. During your regular teeth cleaning, we can remove many of the stains that cause discoloration, leaving behind a brighter smile.
- Gum disease prevention: At Studio City Orthodontist, your regular dental cleaning will involve a professional cleaning and an examination. During this time, we will measure your gums to assess whether any pockets have developed around the teeth. If you do not attend your regular dental cleanings and these pockets are not addressed, they will increase in size, leaving you prone to plaque and bacteria buildup and, at worst, tooth loss. We will assess the signs of gum disease and detect it in its early stages.
- Oral cancer detection: When you come in for your regular dental cleaning, we can also check for signs of oral cancer. Problem signs that we look out for include red or white patches and mouth sores. We can also feel for lumps and other abnormalities. Needless to say, oral cancer is quite serious and is more common than you might think. In the U.S., oral cancer kills nearly one person per hour, according to The Oral Cancer Foundation. This does not have to be the case - if found early during a routine cleaning, oral cancer can be curable.
- Reducing the chance of heart attacks and strokes: Your oral health is linked to your health as a whole, and your heart is no exception. If an excessive amount of bacteria accumulates in the mouth, it can travel to the bloodstream, leading to an increase in cholesterol and even heart disease. Research published in the European Heart Journal found that regular brushing and dental visits reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 14%. Simply caring for your teeth and attending your regular dental cleanings are a few small steps that can make a big difference in your heart health.
- Detecting signs of tooth problems: During your examination, we can notice issues that are not visible to an untrained eye. For example, if we notice a tooth fracture developing or a filling wearing down, we can stop the issue in its tracks before it creates the need for a much more extensive procedure.
- Preventing cavities and tooth loss: When you eat, food remnants cause bacteria to grow and form plaque, which can turn into tartar. A professional teeth cleaning will eliminate plaque along the gumline more effectively than you would be able to at home. If the plaque has developed into tartar, it becomes even more difficult to remove and often requires a professional cleaning. Removing these harmful substances from your mouth during a teeth cleaning will work to prevent cavities from forming. This is important because if a cavity is able to progress, the decay might require a root canal treatment or dental extraction.
Not Your Mother’s Orthodontist
Specializing in Invisalign for Patients of All Ages
29+ Years of Experience
Premiere Invisalign Provider
Five-Star Compassionate Care
Whether you have questions or you're ready to get started, our team is ready to help. Complete our form or contact us today at 818-528-8908